19 October 2013

Strong [Oneshot]

Onika Graham was nothing like most women. From a young age, she knew what she wanted to be. Not a model or anything like that, an army cadet. She wanted to prove that not only men had to serve their country, women could too. Her high school years were spent using guns, training and learning how to survive in extreme situations. It was even harder now since she had a family. Married with a beautiful daughter, Savannah, who was 8. She had her father's hazel eyes with a mixture of their skin tones - caramel, a deep dimple in each cheek that showed the most when she smiled and silky curly black hair. Her husband Aubrey stood tall at 6 foot, hazel eyes, a small black afro, a light beard and a set of pearly white teeth. The two months away from that was going to be hard, her family had a leaving party for her the day before so now all she had to do was say goodbye to her daughter and husband. 

"Mummy has to go now"

"Do you have too?"

"Yeah but don't worry I'll be back way before you know it" Using her thumb, she gently wiped away Savannah's tears.

"Pinky promise?" Savannah asked, sticking up her pinky. Promises like that were difficult, there was a possibility she would not come back. 

"Pinky promise" Nicki gave her a tight hug before moving onto Aubrey.

"This should be me going" 

"Not necessarily. Look after yourself and buttercup"

"I will, don't worry. You look after yourself" He pulled her into a hug. After giving him probably the most passionate kiss they ever had, she grabbed her bags and put them into the boot of the taxi. She got into the backseat of the taxi and turned around blowing them a kiss and waving before the taxi drove away. And they became blurry blobs.


~

She left yesterday. I don't know how to feel. She is my everything. The waiting process is going to be the hardest, not knowing about her whereabouts. There's nothing I can do about it, she's out there working for our country which is a good thing but I can't help but feel like something bad is going to come out of this.  

~

Everything has been a big blur. I'm trying to be strong for the family especially 'Vannah. She's old enough to understand what's happening but I don't think she understands the concept. It's been a month and I haven't heard from her yet. It's worrying me. I pray to God, she's okay.

~

"Savannah, it's your turn" Savannah picked up her paper from her desk and walked to the front of her class.

"My favourite person is my mommy.  My mommy is pretty. My mommy is very nice and smells like flowers. My mommy is in the army and is there now.  She wears a uniform and big boots. I miss her very much but she says she is coming back soon. She is very strong. She loves me and I love her too"

~


Looking out of her window watching the rain slide down the glass, Onika had woken up early and got ready. She had been away for a month now. She only went away to train in case of any wars. She decided she should write a letter to her family. Afterwards she folded the paper and sealed it in an envelope. She got up from her bed and walked towards the cubby holes. Softly kissing it, she placed it in hers and walked away.


3 days later
Aubrey was looking though the mail until one caught his eye.  It was a letter addressed to him and by the envelope he knew who it was from. His wife. 

Dear Aubrey,
Missing you loads right now, I hope you miss me too. I wish you were here to comfort me but I would never want you to be in danger. Just letting you now, I'm okay. Really missing the lie ins I had when I was at home, these 6am starts are killing me. And to Savannah, mummy misses and loves you so much. When I get back, I'm going to attack you with kisses so be prepared. *kisses you both* ~ Love from Onika 



3 months later
"Graham! Concentrate!" The dummies appear from nowhere and the aim of the task was to shoot them. Onika was zoning out and only managed to shot 3 out of 20.

"If this was on the field, you would be dead by now! Shot before they shoot you!"

"Sorry, my mind just not in the right place. Probably just missing my family"

"And you don't think I do?! I don't want to be here right now! Just stay focused" The general shouted before stomping off. "Go again!"

The siren rang out and the dummies popped up. Running across the field fast with her glock 19 firmly in her hand and sun shining brightly on her, Onika shot all targets in her path never missing one. Her breathing quickened as she struggled to breathe. 'Blood' splattered all over the grass. 

"Told you if you put your mind you could do, good job" 

"Thank you sir!"

"Now put your weapon away and join the rest"

5 months later
"Be careful" Aubrey warned her. She dipped the brush into the paint pot and began painting the wall. Savannah wanted to paint her room pink so that was what they were doing. She was doing 2 walls and Aubrey was doing the others. 

After 4 hours, the room was done to a good standard. Aubrey had gone over the walls Savannah did with the roller since she missed a few spots. The room stunk from paint fumes. It was 4:30 in the afternoon. 

"How about we get cleaned up and we can do something else"

"Okay" Savannah squealed running away.

They spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing. They even played a few games of jenga, of course Savannah won. Aubrey should have won but he loved seeing his daughter happy. 

7 months later
"Daddy can we watch a movie?"

"Sure, what movie?"

"Camp rock, mummy loves that film" It was true. Anytime the family had a movie night that was most likely the film they would watch. They would dance and sing-along to all of the songs. Savannah went to get the big blanket while Aubrey went to make them some popcorn. Just as the popcorn was poured into the bowl, a voice was heard in the lounge. 

"I'm ready!" Savannah shouted. Aubrey walked out of the kitchen and placed the popcorn on the table before covering them with the blanket and placing the popcorn between them. 


"I'm toooo coooool for you!" They sang together.

At the end of the film, both of them were almost asleep. Well Savannah was and snoring her life away. Aubrey put her to bed after turning off the lights and went to his room to look at something on his laptop. Opening his laptop, he noticed he had an email.

Hey babe,
I've got some good news. We're coming home soon. 2 months to be exact. When I get more information, I'll tell you. Sorry it's a short one, been really busy.
Love you, Nika.

He smiled as he read it. He smiled again as he typed his response.

Thank God. Everyone has been praying for you and your well-being. Can't wait to see you or that face, and those adorable dimples. You better come back looking the same, I miss your sexy ass ;)
Counting down from now, 7 weeks and 6 days. I love you.
Be safe, Aubrey.


He sent the email and closed his laptop. He fell asleep moments later. The nights picked up their pace as he anxiously waited for her return. 

2 weeks later
"Which one?"

"That one" She pointed to the book that said "My Mommy Wears Combat Boots".

Aubrey began to read. "My mommy is in the U.S army. She wears combat boots and a uniform to work. She said that makes me an Army baby. Because she is a soldier sometimes the Army takes her to far away places" He looked down at her to see if she was still awake.

"Keep going, daddy"

"That makes me feel sad and I cry. Mommy says it's okay to feel sad. Being sad is a part of missing someone when they are not with you. I definitely miss mommy.... Sometimes I talk to mommy on the phone while she's away and daddy reads her emails to me. Mommy said she would be home as soon as she can. Daddy and I count down the days off a calendar until it's time for mommy to come home"

Savannah was now fast asleep. Aubrey kissed her forehead, turned off the light and closed her bedroom door and back downstairs. He flopped down on the sofa and put his head in his hands. The story really got to him. Unaware, he fell asleep that way. Soon enough, he was awoken by a scream coming from upstairs. He dashed upstairs and went into Savannah's room to find her crying with sweat beads on her forehead. He sat on her bed and brought her closer to him.

"What's wrong?" He asked, stroking her hair.

"I had a bad dream"

"What happened in the dream?"

"Mommy.... Mommy died." She cried and he rubbed her back in attempt to calm her down.

"It was just a dream. She is okay and will be home soon"

"How do you know?"

"She told me last time we talked"

"That was a long time ago, she might not be okay now" She said, wiping away her tears. 

"How about I try to call her and she can tell you herself?"

"Okay"

Aubrey went to get his phone from the bedroom, searched through the bunch of letters from her and dialed the number she gave him in her last letter.

"Hello, Onika here"

"It's Aubrey, I hope you're not busy. Savannah wanted to talk to you"

"We're having a break so it's okay, put her on the phone" He handed her the phone.

"Mummy?"

"Yes it's me sweetheart"

"I had a bad dream and you died. Are you okay mummy?"

"I'm fine, I miss you though"

"I miss you too. You're coming back soon right?"

"Yep"

"That's good," Savannah let out a loud yawn.

"You seem tired. It must be late over there, I'll talk to you soon, okay?"

"Okay. I love you mommy"


"I love you too"

~

Before they knew it had been 9 months, the constant letters had been taking away their worry but it never took away the empty space.  The war was short lived and today was the day, she was coming home.  

Over at the base, Onika had her uniform ironed and her hair straightened and up in a low ponytail. She wanted to have it down but it was one of the rules to always tie your hair up. She asked the general if she could call home and he allowed her.

Aubrey was sleeping. The house's quietness and peace was disturbed by the loud ring of his phone. Desperately hoping the call was important and not just a 'code' call.

"Hello?" He answered groggily.

"Aubrey?" As her voice came through the speaker, he immediately woke up. 

Frantically, he replied "Baby! Are you okay? Did something happen?!"

"No, no. Calm down. Just wanted you to know we come back at 1700 hours"

"Couldn't you just say 5?"

"I could have but I didn't so deal with it. I've got to go now, so see you soon"

"Okay, bye"

As soon as their call ended, Drake checked the time. 10:30. 5 hours and 30 minutes till her arrival so that gave him 4 hours to do whatever he had to. He went to have a shower and got dressed in something casual since he knew he would be changing clothes soon. A simple pair of jeans with a short sleeved shirt. Once he was dressed, Aubrey went to wake up Savannah. He made a quick breakfast, a plate full of toast, after they had eaten they went back upstairs so Savannah could have her shower or bath and get dressed.

By 12, Aubrey and Savannah were ready and on their way to town. He had a surprise planned. First stop was the clothing store.

"I ordered an outfit and it was supposed to come in 2 days ago, my order number is 2367890432"


"Let me check for you" The cashier went to the backroom of the shop where all the orders were and hangers along with clothes that need to be stocked. 5 minutes, the cashier came back with his order.

"There you go, would you like anything else?"

"Do you have the same outfit in the children's section?"


~

People came through the doors with their luggage trailing behind them and a few army cadets came out and greeted their loved ones. The intercom said the army would be arriving soon, so every time the automatic doors opened they were expecting them to walk out. 

"Look!" Someone shouted and in the distance, one by one, soldiers in their uniform with their bag-packs on their backs walked closer and closer towards them. When they submerged through the doors, everyone clapped and cheered. The minute Savannah noticed, she pushed through the crowd of people to get closer.

"Savannah" Aubrey shouted after her but she couldn't hear him. Shortly after she got towards the front, she spotted her.

"Mummy!" She screamed and started running in her direction. 

Her eyes settled on her daughter as she ran into her arms. She hugged her tightly but not hard enough for her not to breath.  Savannah's sobs could be heard loud and clear from miles away, passersby's clapped for them. Letting go of Savannah and standing up straight, Onika looked up and spotted her husband. With her daughter by her side, she walked towards him. She softly giggled at him, he was wearing a replica of her outfit so was Savannah.

"Reporting for duty" He saluted and she saluted back. They broke out in laughter before embracing each other. He pulled away after a while and wiped the tears falling down her face. 

"Stop crying. You're home and safe" She smiled at him and leaned in to kiss him. 9 months of not kissing him, seeing him or touching him was enough for her to want to do things to him right then and there but she knew it would be inappropriate so she settled with a kissing session that was cut short by Savannah pulling on their pants.

"Ew. Can we go home now?"

"Sure we can, princess" He held her left hand while Onika held her right hand and they walked out holding hands.













I was going to do it about Drake going to the army but I thought I'd switch it up a bit. 

1 comment:

  1. This was different even the fact that you did switch it up & made it Nicki instead of Drake. 9 Months is a long time to be away from your family. Especially without communicating almost everyday it would have to be hard. The ending was very cute. Savannah though Ew lol like Oh okaay. But I loved it.. Good Job :)

    ReplyDelete