2 July 2013

High School Reunion [Oneshot]

Nicki was painting her toenails with red nail polish when her phone rang. She used one hand to grab her phone, pressed answer and placed it on her shoulder and kept it there by leaning her head over covering the phone. "Hello?"

"Did you hear?" Candi said getting straight to the reason why she called.

"Hear what?" Nicki lifted her foot up and tried to finish painting her pinky toe.

"We're having a high school reunion next week"

"I'm not going!"

"What do you mean you're not going? Nicki please" Candi pleaded.

"No"

---------

"Aye you ready for the reunion?" Noah asked.

"Course, everyone can see how I've changed and I can see how everyone changed" Drake replied

"There are some people I definitely want to see"

"Do you still have your yearbook?"

"I think, check the pile of books in the basement" Drake went to the basement of Noah's house and came back to the lounge about 5 minutes later.

"You have a whole bunch of shit down there, took me time to find this"

"Its a basement, what did you expect?" Noah laughed.

Drake shook his head before opening the yearbook and looking through the pages. "Nah, what was my hair back then?" He said staring at his picture.

"I don't know man, you thought was Michael Jackson or something"

"That was the look back then but now, what the fuck was I thinking?"

Drake flicked the page and was about to turn the page again but Noah stopped him. "Yo, who's that?" Noah pointed at a picture.

Drake took a closer look. "Oh, its... I can't remember her name but she was so freaking weird"

-------

The reunion day arrived on a warm evening. Most people were excited but a few were dreading it and one of those people was Nicki.

"Why did I get dragged into this?" She asked herself as she searched through her wardrobe for a suitable dress.

"People don't even want me there, they didn't at high school so why would they 10 years later?" She ranted.

"Maybe a nice shower will help" Nicki took off her slippers and rested them by her bed. She walked to the bathroom which was located next to her bedroom, after taking off her sweats and top Nicki gracefully stepped in the shower. As she washed herself, she felt the stress go away and her muscles relaxing. Her shower was successful as it relieved her stress but the nervousness was still evidently there. Wrapping her towel around herself, Nicki went back to her bedroom where she dried herself and moisturised with her cocoa butter. Once her panties and bra were on, Nicki scanned through her wardrobe again. A purple dress caught her eye and after looking at it closely, she decided that was what she was going to wear. The dress looked very sophisticated, it was a dark shade of purple and was a one shoulder joint cape. To top the outfit of she put on some grey honey bun booties and wore a pair of silver dangly earrings. Prior to finding a dress the first time around Nicki had washed and dried her hair, she was having a bit of a bad hair day so she put it in a messy side braid. Her makeup looked very natural, she only had on foundation, a layer of fake eyelashes to make hers seem thicker and longer, liquid eyeliner to outline her eyes and pink lipstick. 

Nicki quickly checked herself in the mirror then picked up her phone to call her old high school friend. "Hello, is this Lauren?"

"Yes it is and who is calling?"

"Onika, you know Nicki"

"From high school"

"Yeah"

"Omg I haven't heard from you in forever, how have you been?"

"Good, how are you?" The two caught up before Nicki asked Lauren a question.

"Are you going to reunion tonight?"

"Yeah, you better be going I need to see you"

"I need to see you too and I am going, Can's forcing me too"

"Glad she is and I haven't seen her in a while too, I've got to go but see you later?"

"Definitely" Nicki ended the call after they said goodbye. Her home screen appeared on her phone showing the time, 5:35pm. Since it was close to the start of reunion, the reunion started at 6:30pm they were having an cocktail hour and Nicki decided to set off, her house was located almost an hour away from her school but if she was a few minutes late, it wouldn't matter. Unexpectedly she was hit by traffic and it took longer than she thought it would. She got to the hotel at 7:00pm, she rushed to get out of her cab and got to the reunion. As soon as she walked through the door, all eyes were on her. Some people were confused as they did not recognise her and others recognised her but were in too much shock to turn away. She took a deep breath and walked around looking for a familiar face. Candi waved at her and she walked over to the table she was sat at.

"Hey babe" Candi said hugging her.

"How are you?" Nicki asked when she was released from the hug.

"Good but not as good as you. Gurl, you look amazing I hardly recognised you"

"I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or as an insult but thank you" Nicki smiled. She turned around and spotted everyone else on the table, and started talking to them too.

Meanwhile Drake was sat at his table and he couldn't stop staring at her. "She is just... Wow"

"You do know who that is, right?"

"No but I want to know her"

"Dude, that's Nicki, you know the nerdy girl?"

"Shut up, that isn't her!"

"I swear it is" Drake was astonished. He couldn't believe the girl that had a geeky crush on him was at their reunion looking mighty fine as he would say.

Flashback:

Drake was sitting at his desk near the back of the class, he was laughing and joking with his friends. Nicki turned around to see Drake laughing with a big smile on his face, she dreamily stared at him taking in his image.

"He's beautiful" She said aloud. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at her. She instantly looked down, blushing from embarrassment. The teacher began talking again and the class, well some of the class listened to her. 

At the end of the lesson, Nicki went to talk to the teacher then packed up her folder and rushed out of class. As she did, she hit a hard and rather muscular chest.

"Watch where you're going!"

"I-I-I I'm so,"

"Whatever" Drake started to walked off but turned around and looked at her strangely. Nicki held her folder close to her chest and watched him walk away wishing he liked her as much as she liked him.

As the party set in, it was great. Everyone was enjoying themselves and the music was getting everyone in a party mood. The song they were playing currently was good and Nicki wanted to dance so she got the whole table to dance with her. Drake was also on the dancefloor, he was dancing but his moves were not like they normally were. His eyes were practically glue to Nicki. After a while, Nicki felt eyes staring a hole into her back but when she turned look around, no one was. Drake had the urge to go and talk to her but he couldn't. The night went on and it was still as lively as it was before maybe even a little bit more. Time came for the reunion games, it was something you had to do. The two were on different sides. One side was girls and the other was boys. Tug of war was the final game to play before everyone could go back to sitting, dancing or whatever. The boys’ team was doing well, the girls were almost across the line on the floor, Drake saw Nicki trying really hard to pull them over so just to see a smile on her face, he eased his grip which allowed the girls team to pull them over the line and just as Drake wanted, Nicki was smiling and laughing.

"That smile, that laugh" He thought to himself. After everyone went back to their activity, Nicki went back to her table and so did many others.

"Who's that guy there?" Nicki said to no one in particular.

"Which one?" 

"The caramel toned one with the faded haircut"

"You don't remember him?" Candi gasped.

"No I don't so who is he?"

"Drake" When Nicki heard his name, the memories came flashing back. Some good, some bad. She didn't want to show how she really felt so she replied, "Oh I remember him now but why does he keep staring at me?" The girls turned and saw Drake glancing at them. He went back to the conversation but he could tell she was talking or rather whispering to her friends about him. 

Nearly the end of the night, Drake built up the courage to go over and talk to her. He pulled a chair to the table she was sat at and started a conversation. Just as he did, Candi and the others got up and went to the dancefloor. "Hey, I'm not sure if you remember me but I'm,"

"Drake, I do remember"

"So yeah, Nicki..."

"Surprised you haven't called me Dweeb butt" Nicki thought out loud.

"What?" Drake asked slightly confused.

"Don't act like you don't remember, that's what you used to call me. Dweeb butt"

"Let's leave that in the past, I want to know you better"

"So now you want to talk to me? I was invisible then but now I'm easily seen, I did notice you staring at me... A lot"

"I know I know, can we talk about this over dinner?"

"That would be nice" She looked at her watch and saw it was 11:30pm. "When this ends or do you want to go now?"

"I'm not bothered"

"I wasn't really feeling this anyway, I'll go say goodbye then I'll be right back" Nicki disappeared in the large crowd of people and reappeared a few minutes later. She grabbed her clutch and she and Drake walked out together. As they were, Drake turned around and gave Noah thumbs up. He and Noah had been talking, and Drake had told him how he was eventually going to talk to Nicki.

At the restaurant, Drake and Nicki ended up talking more than they were eating. They talked and talked, she was making him feel bad. All the years of ignoring her and treating her like shit and she was being so nice to him.

"I'm so sorry" Drake said in the middle of their conversation. Nicki leaned her to the side, wondering what was going on and waited for him to explain what he was so sorry about.

"Tonight talking to you and getting to know you, made me feel bad about how I treated you in high school"

"That was over 10 years ago, I'm over it and you should be too. Everyone changes over time and I was probably a geek then"

"You were," Drake chuckled before he got serious. "But just know, I'm not the same guy I was back then"

"I know Drake... I know"

After the dinner, Drake told Nicki he would drive her home. The car journey was quiet but it wasn't awkward. He pulled up outside a nice looking house, it was a cream colour and had a small patio. Nicki unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door, Drake got out too. 

"What are you doing?" Nicki asked as she walked around the car and was met by Drake.

"Walking you to the door"

"It like 5 footsteps away, you don't have to walk me there"

"But I want to, so let's go" Nicki walked in front of him, they reached the door about 20 seconds later.

She rested against the door, "Thank you for the meal and the talk, I really enjoyed it"

"Me too"

Nicki smiled and searched through her purse for her house keys. It took her a while to find them but when she did, Drake was still stood there. She put her key into the key hole and opened the door. 

"...Bye" She walked into her house and was about to close the door but Drake's foot stopped it from fully closing.

"You never let me say goodbye"

"Oh, go on then" Nicki opened the door a bit wider allowing her whole body to be seen. Drake closed the space between them and caught her lips kissing her softly.

"Goodbye" Drake said and walked away, leaving Nicki stunned.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:26 pm

    Aw! That was cute but I think Drake was more of the nerd back then but whatever still cute! I love it! You could turn this into a series!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:43 am

    Awe poor Nic used to get picked with but pshh she bad now. Crazy how Drake was staring but this was really cute & you could turn it into something.

    ReplyDelete